Monday 27 May 2013

Ready for some controversy?


I am straight. I am a woman in every way. I am a mother, a sister, a daughter, and technically I'm a wife. 

I am also tolerant, open minded, pro-choice, considerate and I will judge you on your actions and your mind set regardless of what you look like and I am all over equality like a rash. 

Life is life; your body your choice; my personal beliefs may be different to yours but that doesn't make either of them wrong. I believe in basic human rights and punishment if you violate them. Love is love, it is blind and it is wonderful. 

One thing that I thank my mum for is raising myself and my siblings with what I believe to be some of the best things a parent can teach their children. She raised us to accept a person as they are, to look beyond their physical appearance, race, religion, culture or gender, and to accept them for how they treat others and themselves. 

You could be a vegetarian black transgender man with a stutter who is a devout Buddhist, and as long as you are polite, tolerant of my love of meat and respect that I am not religious, we'll get along fine. To me you will be the person you are, I will call you "he" because that is who you are, I will make sure we go to dinner at places with good vegetarian options but I will order the steak, I said I love meat. 

I respect the choice to be a particular religion, to believe, live by those beliefs and values, but please don't push your beliefs at me or see me as less of a person because I don't "embrace faith". Also, don't use said faith as an excuse for murder, ignorance, mutilation or hate. Religion doesn't make you do those things, being an asshole does. 

It's really simple in my head, I struggle to understand why there are people in society that ridicule and literally abuse, (verbally, physically, emotionally), those that are different, or aren't able to be placed neatly in a box with a clearly defined label. 

Yes I support gay marriage. I support transgender. I understand the choice to abort, adopt and foster. If a criminal is sentenced to life in prison for their actions then they are in prison until the end of their life, no parole, no early release for good behaviour. I also believe in fairer and consistent punishment for crimes; better community, social and government support for youth (particularly those in lower socio-economic areas), low income bracket, those with a disability, homeless, recovering addicts and the mentally disabled. Equality in the workplace, and across industries. I question politicians getting 6+ figure pays, yet those that prepare the next generation of our country, teachers, doctors, nurses, child care workers, etc, are, in comparison, paid in peanuts. 

Some might say I'm opinionated, which to a point is true, but lets be blunt here, if more people thought this same way, the world would be a nicer place. 


By the way ... This is my 50th post :D 

2 comments: