Tuesday 24 September 2013

Tired shopping

Have you ever been so tired that you feel hot but you're shivering, you take a full 30 seconds to blink, you shake all over, your head lulls from one side to the other, your eyes sting and it feels like your eyelids are sand paper each time you move them, you find the simplest things hilarious and you start thinking of something then your train of thought disappears. 

That's me now.

I'm going to ramble anyway. 


Are you a groceries bargain shopper? I'm a bargain shopper. Sure, I go to woolies for a few things that I can't get or don't like from elsewhere, but otherwise, grocery shopping involves several places.

A trip to Banana Benders for fruit, veggies, and whatever grocery items they have got in in bulk and are selling cheap (like kraft cheese sticks, 3 packs for $2; $1.79 for a box of cereal who's name escapes me; 99c for fancy garlic bread). 

Then Meat City for meat, today I got 2+kg trays of skinless chicken breast for $11, 2kg of marinated chicken legs for $2, and 1kg of top beef mince for $6), then Aldi for the majority of the rest. 
I'm also not above going to the "$2 shops" for toothpaste, shampoo, razors, garbage bags etc.

I spent a whopping $177 on groceries this fortnight .... (includes formula and nappies). A lot of people read that and think I did well, no ... that's $50 more than average. I let things run a bit low.

Anyway, my original point .... When I go into Woolies or Coles for the said few items, I walk by the people with trolley loads of groceries and think, you idiots. The amount of money you could save! Granted, not everyone has the time to go to 3 or 4 different places, others don't care. I think of all the money I have saved, and in some cases, how much better my family is eating because I buy better, fresher quality and a wider variety, and I can't help but get a smug, happy feeling in my chest.
For a fleeting moment I feel superior.
I get my kicks where I can.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment